Monday, June 20, 2011

June 26, 2011 2nd Sunday After Pentecost


Matthew 10:(34-39) 40-42
 34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
   “‘a man against his father, 
   a daughter against her mother, 
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law— 
   36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’
   37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.
   40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”
 (When this sermon was preached the text began with verse 34.  These words of Jesus are important for this message so I add them here.)
“Blessed Into Change”
Jesus didn’t come just to bless us into complacency, compliance, contentment; 
He came to bless us into change.  Change which can be disruptive, disturbing, difficult, even destructive on the outside, as it seeks to make more real what is on the inside.
Destructive that is of those systems which are not life giving, just, fair, sensitive, compassionate.  Which are not doing good for the least as well as for the most.

The bottom line with Jesus is always - what is this doing to the helpless.  

“A true prophet is rarely so cocksure of himself and his interpretation of God’s will that he is spared those wrenching moments before God in which he questions his own calling. doubts the veracity of his message and even hopes that he is wrong. “

God does novel and wonderful things and loves to pull surprises on his people, so we can laugh together at our making mountains out of mole hills and cry together at how often we miss the point of it all and become who God wants us to be - not who we want to be.  Then something of God’s Kingdom does come on earth as it is in heaven.
Then hospitality is truly experienced and shared.
Then a cup of cold water has eternal meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment