Monday, April 30, 2012

May 6, 2012 Fifth Sunday of Easter



John 15:1-8
1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
   5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
 “Remain In Me”
There is no doubt about it; by our fruits we are known.  Actions speak louder than words. Believing and doing always go together.  For “demand is laid on us the same moment grace meets us.”

St. Francis of Assisi - “It is no use walking any where to preach unless our walking is our preaching.”

Good fruit is a natural part of being “in Christ”.  When we remain in Him good things will come from our living.  For the fruit of the spirit - the fruit of His love and energy - will flow through us and enrich the lives of others.  


 “Bear Much Fruit”
To go to church is to risk being changed - changed into Christ’s likeness so we might be more fruitful in our living.  So we might bear much fruit.

Going to church will not keep bad things from happening to us. It will help make  good things happen through us. 

For it is there we are pruned so we can produce good fruit.  Pruned to love more and hate less.  Pruned to accept difference more and judge less.  Pruned so we can forgive more, trust more, be generous more, be more like Christ. 

We may not like it at first; it certainly will not be easy, but it is the way it is when Christ comes into our lives.  We are loved much; we must love much.


No comments:

Post a Comment