Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 15, 2012 7th Sunday After Pentecost




Amos 7:7-15

 7...behold, the Lord was standing beside a wall built with a plumb line, with a plumb line in his hand. 8 And the LORD said to me, "Amos, what do you see?" And I said, "A plumb line." Then the Lord said, "Behold, I am setting a plumb line in the midst of my people Israel; I will never again pass by them; 9 the high places of Isaac shall be made desolate, and the sanctuaries of Israel shall be laid waste, and I will rise against the house of Jerobo'am with the sword." 10 Then Amazi'ah the priest of Bethel sent to Jerobo'am king of Israel, saying, "Amos has conspired against you in the midst of the house of Israel; the land is not able to bear all his words. 11 For thus Amos has said, 'Jerobo'am shall die by the sword, and Israel must go into exile away from his land.'" 12 And Amazi'ah said to Amos, "O seer, go, flee away to the land of Judah, and eat bread there, and prophesy there; 13 but never again prophesy at Bethel, for it is the king's sanctuary, and it is a temple of the kingdom." 14 Then Amos answered Amazi'ah, "I am no prophet, nor a prophet's son; but I am a herdsman, and a dresser of sycamore trees, 15 and the LORD took me from following the flock, and the LORD said to me, 'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.' 


Amos’ words had a bite to them which left him less than popular. 

"Hear this word, you cows of Bashan, who are in the mountain of Sama'ria, who oppress the poor, who crush the  4:1  

21 "I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies. 22 Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and cereal offerings, I will not accept them, and the peace offerings of your fatted beasts I will not look upon. 23 Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen. 24 But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream. 5:21-24;

4 "Woe to those who lie upon beds of ivory, and stretch themselves upon their couches, and eat lambs from the flock, and calves from the midst of the stall; 5 who sing idle songs to the sound of the harp, and like David invent for themselves instruments of music; 6 who drink wine in bowls, and anoint themselves with the finest oils, but are not grieved over the ruin of Joseph! 7 Therefore they shall now be the first of those to go into exile, and the revelry of those who stretch themselves shall pass away."  6:4-7


Amos was certainly not very popular in his day.  He spoke the truth no matter how much it hurt.  He didn’t do it to get rich; he had a sense of calling and mission.  He did it because the Spirit of God compelled him to do it!  And he was asked to “go away to the land of Judah” so as to not disturb the comfortable life of Israel.

God interrupted his life - as God does ours - and compels us to speak a word of truth.
When we do we will not be popular; but we will be speaking a word God wants said.

We need a prophet like Amos today, lest we are lulled to sleep in our idolatries and injustices!  We need to be confronted with the evil in our midst - even in our lives - lest we are deceived into thinking that we know God’s will for all things and know what is best for all people.  

It hurts - to face the truth of our own prejudices, hypocrisy, self-righteousness.  Yet it is only as we do that the Word of God transforms our lives and turns us into instruments of grace in a world of hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment