Sunday, April 26, 2015

May 3, 2015 Fifth Sunday of Easter

John 15:1-8

 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples.

 “Remain In Me”

There is no doubt about it; .by our fruits we are known.  Actions speak louder than words. Believing and doing always go together.  For “demand is laid on us the same moment grace meets us.”

St. Francis of Assisi - “It is no use walking any where to preach unless our walking is our preaching.”

Good fruit is a natural part of being “in Christ”.  When we remain in Him good things will come from our living.  For the fruit of the spirit - the fruit of His love and energy - will flow through us and enrich the lives of others.


 “Bear Much Fruit”

To go to church is to risk being changed - changed into Christ’s likeness so we might be more fruitful in our living.  So we might bear much fruit.

Going to church will not keep bad things from happening to us. It will help make  good things happen through us.

For it is there we are pruned so we can produce good fruit.  Pruned to love more and hate less.  Pruned to accept difference more and judge less.  Pruned so we can forgive more, trust more, be generous more, be more like Christ.

We may not like it at first; it certainly will not be easy, but it is the way it is when Christ comes into our lives.  We are loved much; we must love much.


No comments:

Post a Comment