Wednesday, May 22, 2013

June 2, 2013 2nd Sunday After Pentecost



Luke 7:1-10

    1 When Jesus had finished saying all this to the people who were listening, he entered Capernaum. 2 There a centurion’s servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die. 3 The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant. 4 When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with him, “This man deserves to have you do this, 5 because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue.” 6 So Jesus went with them.

   He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. 7 That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

   9 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.” 10 Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well.

“ A Miracle Of Faith”

This is a story primarily about faith, not faith healing.  It is an example of someone from the outside whose faith put to shame those on the inside. He was a Roman, a centurion, yet a sensitive man who was open to the mystery and miracles of life.  He cares about his slave enough to send friends to Jesus to see if something might happen which could be called nothing short of a miracle.
Such faith is a miracle!

 His case is presented to Jesus and Jesus is impressed.  Impressed by his honesty, compassion and faith.  Jesus commends the man for his faith and does as he requests.
It is a miracle of healing which points to a faith which is to be remembered and duplicated.  A strong faith which is open to miracles and leaves room in life for the mysterious presence of a loving God.


 “All Are Welcome"

Jesus came with what sounded like a different Gospel then what the Israelites heard and knew.  No one is excluded! (Acts 10:35)

Grace is always unmerited and undeserved.  Mercy is not getting what I deserve.  Grace is getting what I don’t deserve.

God is a God of grace who will not stop until He can love us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment